“Worthy living is purposefully engaging in our lives and the cultivating courage, compassion, and connection that we see in successful people. It’s waking up in the morning and thinking, ‘No matter what gets done and how much is left undone, I am enough.’
And it’s going to bed at night thinking, ‘Yes, I am imperfect and vulnerable and sometimes afraid, but that doesn’t change the truth that I am brave and worthy of love and belonging.’”
Do you say these things to yourselves in the morning and at night? If I’m not intentional, I sure don’t.
My focus is usually on all that’s NOT checked off my to-do list. Every day I’m focused on being the most perfect I can be and getting everything done, even when everything is a crazy long to-do list!
If I’m not intentional with my thoughts and the way I speak to myself, I get lost down the rabbit hole of perfectionism. But, this quote says it all…
“PERFECTIONISM is a 20-ton shield that we lug around thinking it will protect us when in fact it is the thing thats really preventing us from taking flight.”
This is where OWW Brain versus WOW Brain mentality comes in.
The ‘OWW’ Brain says to itself…”Why should I bother? I’m not good enough. I don’t deserve this. I’m not sure.” In the end, OWW Brainers only hurt (Ow!!) themselves because they end up stuck, bored, and living in their box. OWW brainers don’t change.
But the ‘WOW’ Brain says to itself…”I can’t wait to see what happens! What can I learn? What will I discover?” In the end, the WOW brain finds growth, confidence, and adventure. We are always evolving anyway! So we might as well accept it, embrace it, and make it positive! WOW brainers do change!
When an OWW Brain gets overwhelmed trying to be perfect or hits a plateau, they perceive there is no way out. When a WOW Brain gets stuck, they say, I’m going to come up with FIVE ways out.
When you take on the WOW Brain perspective, three amazing things happen based on the growth, confidence, and adventure that comes along with this mindset:
1. When you grow and you have confidence (i.e. you make a positive change and feel good about that change), you create momentum. You want to keep going, and going, and going, and going… You become the energizer bunny!!
2. When you gain confidence and feel a sense of adventure, there is excitement! Excitement makes you want to see how far you can go.
3. When you grow in a new adventure, there is transformation. This is when a change sticks.
Therefore, when you look at change or forming new habits from the WOW perspective, it isn’t a daunting task at all! In fact, it is exciting and fun!!
So how do you get the WOW Brain? There are three steps, but you have to actively participate in these three steps or you will not have success. Reeeaaaady?!?! Lego!!
1. Create a clear and specific goal. Where do you want to be in X amount of time? What do you want to be doing? How do you want to look and FEEL? Make sure there is no uncertainty of where you are going.
2. Write down improvement goals. These are your path to get you to your destination, your map if you will. They need to be tangible, measurable, and objective. Writing them down makes them REAL. When you have this path in your hand, it easier to follow it.
An easy example: You want to lose 15 pounds in 3 months. Great! At the end of month 1, you need to have lost 5 pounds, at the end of month 2, 5 more pounds, and at the end of month 3, the last 5 pounds.
3. Script your challenges. This is the one I believe most people leave out and is why we end up falling off the wagon. We ALL face challenges. In fitness, in business, and in life, no one is immune. So what are you going to do when some one says, “Here, have this piece of chocolate cake?” Or “I don’t think your idea is good enough.” Are you going to have a panic attack? Will you just give in or give up?! NO!!!!
You should have a planned response for any and every possible challenge that might cross your path and then you use it! For example, “No thank I’m full,” or “Thank you for your opinion.”
Being prepared is the key to success. Practice your response…out loud! It should feel automatic when it comes time to use it. Remember, fail to plan, plan to fail!
Be a WOW Brain!!!